Mar 6, 2012

100 Word Challenge for Grown Ups - #33: An 'orse.

This week's challenge is the grown up version of this challenge for children and asks that we "Look carefully at it [the picture] and think about a creative story that it might be linked to." and also to "Please make sure it is your own work that you share!"
~

My mate is a philistine, a cultural peasant. He thinks Bolero is an ice-lolly and The Nutcracker is a wrestling move.

So here we are, on our way back from a surfing weekend, at the Eden Project. It’s big, massive actually, and full of pretty awesome stuff.

We turn a corner. A guide preaches to a small quiet, attentive group “Here we have a superb rendition of natural balance, life and death, power and grace, captured in classical form. This represents our eternal futility in the face of nature.

“Bugger me,” says my mate “I thought it represented an ‘orse”.

The photo was taken at the Eden Project and the artist is Heather Jansch.

5 comments:

  1. Made me laugh. That just about sums up my attitude towards art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed too. Sometimes these airy fairy people need bringing down to earth. When it comes to art, you don't need silly description - you either like it or you don't. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me laugh out loud! I have two surfer sons who have many surfer friends and could just picture this taking place, exactly as you wrote it.
    Brilliant!
    So glad I went back to see if there were any later entries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snigger. Really refreshing after reading all the highfalutin' stories.

    ReplyDelete