Nov 15, 2019

The Lament of the One Armed Sailor













I wandered lonely as a bastard
Even had my own tin tankard
Travelled thrice around the world
And married the loveliest, prettiest girl

She gave me sons, strong and true
Caleb and Jake were handsome too
Not so much Zack, who never looked right
He had a tongue like whip, a mind like a knife

My girl, my wife, my lover, their mother
Was the rock in a frock who kept us together
But God is unmerciful and no friend of joy
He took her from us, leaving me and the boys

Caleb my first born decided to leave
Took trains then planes then took to the sea
Jake wanted action, needed to fight
He went to the city and was doing alright

Zack stayed home, helped me along
Did this and that but never did roam
I loved them all dearly and missed my dear wife
As I looked back on a wasted life

Was there ever a woman who stood so tall
With pride and passion, and never a fall
Her heart, her beauty seemed endless back then
She was cut down so quick, we were shattered and broken

Ten years later, we all returned
Memories faded, grief still burned
Three sons and a husband gathered as one
Paid tribute to her who was second to none

I wandered lonely as a bastard
A feckless life of beer and tankards
I saw the best of a beautiful world
And married the loveliest, prettiest girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment